Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Claddagh ring? Let's google it!




Pictured above is Claddagh ring. These babies were hugely popular in high school, so of course I didn't have one. Resisting the trend, or something. HOWEVER, when I was in Ireland last semester, I figured that getting an "authentic" Irish Claddagh ring totally went around the tacky, trendy cliche, and justified purchasing one. So I did. But the real question became, which way do I wear it?
The Claddagh ring is rife with meaning and symbolism, at least to us easily deceived Americans. But regardless, it's important to know which way to wear the ring, as it tells the world whether you are single, taken, or married.

In other words, pivotal information. Have you ever thought, "gosh I wish _____ was wearing a name tag of some sort so I would know if I can tap that?" Well my friend, the Claddagh ring does just that.

Assuming you're savvy on the proper way to sport that silver finger bangle.

I discovered the other day that my friend and I were wearing our Claddagh rings the same direction--despite the fact that she has a boyfriend, and I do not.
Who is right? And who is sending out the wrong signal to a sea of prospective fish?

Tell us, dear Google.

(from Wikipedia--a TOTALLY valid source. Hush. I'll fight you on this one.)

The Claddagh's distinctive design features two hands clasping a heart, and usually surmounted by a crown. The elements of this symbol are often said to correspond to the qualities of love (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown). The expression which was associated with these symbols in the giving of the ring was: "With my hands I give you my heart, and crown it with my love."

The way that a Claddagh ring is worn on the hand is usually intended to convey the wearer's romantic availability, or lack thereof. Traditionally, if the ring is on the right hand with the heart pointing outward and away from the body, this indicates that the person wearing the ring is not in any serious relationship, and may in fact be single and looking for a relationship. When worn on the right hand but with the heart pointing inward toward the body, this indicates the person wearing the ring is in a relationship, or that "someone has captured their heart". A Claddagh worn on the left hand ring finger, pointing outward away from the body, generally indicates that the wearer is engaged. When the ring is on the left hand ring finger and pointing inward toward the body, it generally means that the person wearing the ring is married.


Well! There you have it! I'm glad we all got that cleared up. Now we can have a Claddagh ring party and get a little crazy!

4 comments:

  1. these guys have some info about how to wear the ring also: http://www.claddaghring.com/How-to-wear-claddagh-rings-a/122.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the home page of the Claddagh Ring Group which has three Irish Bars in London, called The Claddagh Ring, The Corrib Rest and The Quays. Celtic Claddagh Ring

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I proposed my girlfriend with Aviant Jewelers Zirconia Engagement Rings For Women and its truly beautiful. The sparkle catches everyone's eye and looks so elegant. she have got so many compliments on the ring (even a year after the proposal!) Would highly recommend this Aviant Jewelers Zirconia Engagement Rings for Women for a timeless classic.

    ReplyDelete