Monday, March 9, 2009

How many calories are you really burning? Let's Google it!

I only recently discovered that the calorie counters on excercise equipment is pretty inaccurate, unless you enter in your weight, age, and gender. Apparently I've been burning a lot more calories than they are telling me! This is sort of good news. But also made me wonder how many calories a person burns doing day to day activities. Do you burn calories while your eating? Because that sounds like a pretty sweet hook up to me.

Google found me a neat chart from usatoday.com that had some answers:
Calculations based on 1 hour of activity by a person 170 pounds. the heavier you are , the more calories you burn.

Here's some examples of non-exercise things I do on a regular basis:

Bowling (an activity I love, personally) burns 230 calories
Cleaning ( a necessary evil) burns 270 calories
Eating burns an exciting 115 calories, while preparing that food burns an additional 170 calories!
Mowing the lawn burns a whopping 420 calories! Good excuse for a tall glass of lemonade afterward!
Somehow reading burns 100 calories. SWEET.
Sitting and watching television burns only 70 calories, but sitting and writing or typing burns 140!
Lastly, walking briskly will burn off 310 calories.


My good friend Cari was kind enough to remind me that yes, everything you do burns off calories, hence the need to eat...


Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment